WorkSafe Victoria is the statutory authority responsible for promoting and enforcing health and safety in Victorian workplaces. We administer legislation that improves workplace health and safety, public safety, and deliver insurance protection and workers compensation services for Victorian employers and workers.
Our vision is that every Victorian worker returns home safe every day.
To help achieve this vision, we actively work with the community to deliver outstanding workplace safety and return to work, together with insurance protection.
What does WorkSafe do?
Broadly, WorkSafe’s responsibilities include:
- striving to prevent workplace injuries, illness and fatalities
- providing benefits to injured workers and helping them return to work
- enforcing Victoria’s occupational health and safety and accident compensation laws (including relevant Commonwealth laws)
- providing reasonable priced workplace injury insurance for employers
- managing the Victorian workers compensation scheme by ensuring the prompt delivery of appropriate services and adopting prudent financial practices
- providing an emergency response service that operates 24 hours a day every day across Victoria.
The work we do is important because we impact upon many people’s lives, every day. We have a responsibility to ensure that strong values guide us in everything we do.
At WorkSafe, we live our values by being:
- Constructive in the way we provide information, advice and service
- Accountable for what we do and what we say; we live up to our promises
- Transparent in the way we work; our environment is open and honest
- Effective by working collaboratively to deliver high quality services
- Caring by showing empathy in our dealings with everyone we work with.