Make Your Mark for Invictus Games Sydney 2018
Thu 23 August 2018
Image source: Regallo
The Invictus Games Sydney 2018 will challenge perceptions, raise expectations and celebrate inclusion on a global scale. From October 20-27, more than 500 athletes from 18 nations will descend on Sydney for the competition.
The Games is an international adaptive sports event for veteran and serving defence personnel who have experienced life-changing illness, injury or disability while serving their countries. Created by HRH The Duke of Sussex in 2014, this year’s Games will shine a light on health and wellbeing, drive a broader understanding of living with mental illness or physical disability, and promote the positive impact of meaningful employment.
A proud sponsor of the Invictus Games Sydney 2018, Westpac Chief Executive, Consumer Bank, George Frazis, encouraged more Australian businesses to support veterans’ transition into the civilian workforce.
‘Westpac has partnered with Invictus Games Sydney 2018 to shine a light on the issue of post-service employment issues, which are often overlooked,’ Mr Frazis said.
‘I am proud Westpac employs around 400 veterans, reservists and spouses of active Australian Defence Force personnel, and right across the business we want to see this number grow. We see the value veterans bring to Westpac – they are highly skilled, dedicated individuals with strong leadership, team work and problem-solving capabilities.’
Indeed, the origin of the Australian Network on Disability (AND) was inspired by Steven and John Bennett’s father’s experience of finding employment after he was injured while serving in the Air Force. Now, AND’s network of members comprises more than 230 large-scale organisations that actively contribute to inclusion of people with disability as employees and customers.
AND CEO Suzanne Colbert AM is also Patron of Achilles Australia, which has spent over 20 years helping people with disability enjoy the social, recreational and health benefits of an active lifestyle.
AND Members officially supporting the Games include: Australian Defence Force; Deloitte; NSW Government; Medibank; UNSW Canberra; Westpac; icare; and the Royal Australian Mint. Congratulations to everyone involved.
Rally your colleagues and Make Your Mark
The Invictus Games Sydney 2018 ‘Make Your Mark’ campaign is about getting active, getting connected and doing something tangible to show your support.
Here are some ideas for how your organisation can make its mark:
- Host a forum to discuss your team’s thoughts on how to enhance inclusion of people with disability in your workplace.
- Consider hosting an Invictus Games Sydney 2018 Ambassador or spokesperson at your next corporate function.
- Encourage your colleagues to take care of their mental health and wellbeing. Discover some ideas for staying well from beyondblue.
- Share stories of friends or family members who have served or are serving in the military.
- Enjoy an opportunity to get active and establish a support network by organising a group ‘walk and talk’.
- Get your colleagues together and tune in to the opening and closing ceremonies or daily highlights on ABC.
- Share your 'Make Your Mark' moment with the Games community using #MakeYourMarkDownUnder and #IG2018.
For more ideas, download the complete Invictus Games Sydney 2018 Toolkit.
Sydney’s Invictus Games
The Games will be held across Greater Sydney including Sydney Olympic Park and on and around Sydney Harbour from 20-27 October. Visit the Invictus Games Sydney 2018 website for everything you need to know about this landmark event.
For information about accessible attractions, events and transport, visit the Destination NSW Sydney For All website.