Conference Program Highlights
Keynote Speaker Dr Susanne Bruyère presented the results of her large scale employer research into disability inclusive recruitment practices and policies:
- What policies and programs produce real results?
- What is more effective – participating in an internship program for people with disability, or including people with disability in management performance assessments?
- Are your efforts better spent in partnering with community organisations, or developing internal disability champions?
Business Council of Australia (BCA) shared the results of its member survey on employment of people with disability:
- How engaged are Australia’s largest companies in disability inclusion?
- What facilitates engagement, and what gets in the way?
- What solutions did employers say would assist their efforts?
Practical strategies and unique initiatives from AND members:
- Saronbell, winner of the 2014 National Disability Award for Excellence in Employment, shared information about its effective partnership with Job Centre Australia, and the benefits that becoming the largest employer of people with disability on the Central Coast has brought to the organisation.
- The Department of Defence, Highly Commended in the ACT Disability Inclusion Awards 2014, presented some of its key disability inclusion strategies.
- Telstra presented its unique Personalisation@Work initiative.
- The Department of Health shared some of the strategies and outcomes behind their internal Disability Awards program.
Disclosure - Research results and personal experiences:
- Dr Bruyère presented her research findings on why people choose to share – or choose not to share - information about their disability.
- A panel of people with disability discussed their personal experiences of sharing information about their disability.
Enabling change and creating impact through evidence-based internships and mentoring programs. Attendees:
- Discovered how internship and mentoring programs contribute to organisational culture change; changing perceptions and raising awareness of unconscious bias.
- Heard from past participants - both students and supervisors - about the direct impact internship and mentoring programs have had on their career journey.
- Learnt how internship and mentoring programs can be an effective professional development strategy for your organisation, as well as a practical way to identify unintended barriers and build a talent pipeline.