Employment Charter for the Employment of People with Disability
It is important for all employers to develop long term sustainable approaches to inclusion of people with disability. We encourage organisations to adopt the following principles in their employment practices:
- Equal Employment Opportunity Policy and Procedures: Employment of people with disability will form an integral part of all Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) policies and practices.
- Staff Training and Disability Awareness: Specific steps will be taken to raise awareness of disability throughout the organisation.
- The Working Environment: Specific steps will be taken to ensure that the working environment does not prevent people with disability from taking up positions for which they are suitably qualified.
- Recruitment Commitment: Recruitment procedures will be reviewed and developed to encourage applications from, and the employment of, people with disability.
- Career Development: Specific steps will be taken to ensure that employees with disability have the same opportunity as others to develop their full potential within the organisation.
- Retention, Retraining and Redeployment: Full support will be given to any employees who acquire disability, enabling them to maintain or return to a role appropriate to their experience and abilities within the organisation.
- Training and Work Experience: People with disability will be involved in work experience, training and education.
- People with disability in the wider community: The organisation will recognise and respond to people with disability as clients, suppliers, and members of the community at large.
- Involvement of People with Disability: Employees will be involved in implementing this agenda to ensure that wherever possible, employment practices recognise and meet their needs.
- Monitoring Performance: The organisation will monitor its progress in implementing the key points. There will be an annual audit of performance reviewed at board level. Achievements and objectives will be published to employees and in the annual report.