A voice for employers
The Australian Network on Disability (AND) harnesses the voice of its members to influence and shape government policy and improve practice.
By doing this we can identify crucial systemic issues and collaborate to create solutions and facilitate best practice.
Submissions and reports are formed in consultation with our member organisations, Board of Directors and expert advisors.
We're driven by our belief that people with disability are skilled and capable social and economic contributors, entitled to equitable opportunities in society.
We contribute to policy-making by giving voice to the experiences of employers who want to (and do) access the talents of people with disability. We strongly support evidence-based policy making, which draws on what has and has not worked over the past 30 years, both within Australia and internationally. We also value the lived experience of people with disability, including research which captures this.
Policy directions for the employment of people with disability should consider the principles of:
Fairness – reduce the correlation between disability and poverty. Most people with disability can participate in the labour market with the right level of supports. We've seen firsthand people with very significant disability take their place in inclusive employment and sustain their roles successfully for many years.
‘Leave no-one behind’ – consider the evidence for high quality, inclusive employment and sustainable jobs by providing high quality employment support services that support jobseekers and employers.
Submissions and reports
- AND Submission in response to the Australian Government Department of Social Services 2018 Discussion Paper "Ensuring a strong future for supported employment, 19 March 2018
- AND Submission on Disability Employment Services (DES) 2018 Discussion Paper, January 2017
- AND Submission to the House of Representatives Standing Committee on Education and Employment Inquiry into School to Work Transition, 9 August 2017 (Word)
- AND Submission to the Legislative Assembly for the Australian
Capital Territory Standing Committee on Health, Ageing and
Community Services ACT Inquiry into the Employment of
People with Disability, 26 April 2017 (PDF)
- AND Submission on 2012 discussion paper: Improving Employment Participation of People with Disability, March 2013
- AND Report on the economic benefits of improved employment outcomes, Deloitte 2012